December 8, 2011

Applying the Heat

“Again?”

She looked down, avoiding my gaze, not looking at the pack of cigarettes.

Softly, looking down into her lap, “Yes, but I don’t want to stop smoking. Who are you to make me?”

I sat the pack aside, reached across the table and lifted her chin until our eyes met.

“Who am I? You think I’m trying to make you stop smoking? I’m asking you, ‘Why are you smoking?’ ”

She looked confused. I continued, shaking her chin slightly and tapping the list, “Who are you to make this little girl do these things she doesn’t want to do?”

2 comments:

  1. Quite good! I'm sure it will make her think.

    Love,
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. "Who am I? Who are you"? That is the question isn't it?

    I love the chin shake, very subtle, controlling move, much more intimate of an invasion of personal space than the arm, hand, or shoulder would be.

    I love this story line.

    ReplyDelete